Skip to content
- Boil rice in plenty of salted water until cooked.
- Rinse, drain and spread the rice to cool.
- Do this at least two hours ahead, or preferably, leave overnight in the fridge.
- Combine eggs with sesame oil and salt, and put aside (see below).
- Heat wok or large frying pan over heat until hot.
- Add oil, and wait until it is very hot and slightly smoking.
- Add the onions, ginger, shrimp paste, garlic, and pepper, and stir-fry for 2 minutes, squashing the shrimp paste as you go.
- Then add chicken and shrimp and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add rice and continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Now add the chilli bean sauce or sambal oelek, oyster sauce and ketjap manis/dark soy sauce and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add egg mixture and continue to stir-fry for another minute.
- Alternatively make 2 thin omelettes from the egg mixture ahead of time and cut into strips.
- These can then be used as garnish on the finished dish.
- Turn onto large serving platter and garnish with the spring onion and fresh cilantro, and serve hot.