After many requests, here is the english version of “how to make sambusa” for those who dont understand Swahili. Enjoy!!!
– Minced beef 1kg
– Spring roll sheets (spring roll pastry) – you can buy them at the African shops, Chinese supermarket).
– Spices (2tsp of tumeric powder, 2tbsp of paprika powder, 1tbsp of ginger powder, 2-3 tbsp of curry powder, 2-3 tbsp of beef flavour broth): I love spices (I never measure) + I do not use salt 😊
– 2tbsp Garlic paste
– 2 large onions: cut into small thin pieces
– 1 bell pepper: same
– Half bag of grated carrots
– 2-3 lemons: squeeze
– Frying oil
– Flour for folding
– Coriander / parsley
Lets do this 😉
– Remove the spring roll sheets from the freezer on time (I usually take them out the night before and put them in the fridge. Then they will be defrosted the next day).
– Put the minced meat, herbs, lemon juice + garlic in a large pan. Bring this to boil
– Meanwhile, cut the onions, bell pepper and coriander / parsley.
– Clean the pieces of onions, peppers, carrots and coriander / parsley.
– Don’t forget your minced meat, stir occasionally.
– When the minced meat is cooked, put the onions + bell pepper + carrots + coriander / parsley, stir well … and let it cook for 5-8 minutes.
– Taste whether there is enough seasoning / salt. If not, add a little. I usually add cubes of broth and curry powder.
– Let the meat boil, must be dry, otherwise they will leak.
– If the meat is cooked and well, turn off the fire. Let it cool off.
– Put 5-6 scoops of flour in a bowl and add water. Stir well, it should not be too thick or thin. This is your “glue”.
– Next step = folding YouTube link. It is a bit difficult to explain Hahaha
– Fold, fill with minced meat & fold up.
– Fry your sambusa…… Ready to eat. Enjoy 😉
Ps: You dont have to fry them all, you can keep them in the freezer.
These are the spices I used.
I make my own garlic paste. You can grate the carrots yourself, but I prefer buying the ones that are already done.
Some people use eggs for folding. I use flour.